Tuesday, May 21, 2013

High five....

 I want to invent something. Not like electricity or something really complicated, more like an original phrase or action. Let me give you an example.  The other day I heard someone say, "Like a BOSS."  I had no idea what that meant but have since heard it several times. How in the world did that catch on? Who was the very first person to say, "Like a Boss," and how did it make it all the way to Colorado? Think about it. I mean someone had to say it and then there had to be enough people that wanted to copy it that it becomes a common phrase for all mankind.

 Phrases definitely have a destined season of coolness before they are put to rest in the archives. For example, if I was to "raise the roof" right now, that would only show how not cool I am. Even giving "bones" is fading away like the squeezits and giga pets of the past. Somewhere, someone had to be the person that thought of closing your fist and running it into someone elses. It's not that hard but they should be feeling pretty proud.  The other person I want to meet is the originator of "yolo," let's get real, that one is a lame and an excuse to not take responsibility for your actions but you get my point.  Where are these people that are marketing hip phrases and how can I start one? 

Some have a much longer shelf life than others, for example the classic high five. I even did a little research and found out from our friend Wikipedia that:

"The first high five occurred between Dusty Baker and Glenn Burke of the Los Angeles Dodgers, on Oct. 2, 1977 in Dodger Stadium. It was the last day of the regular season, and Dodgers leftfielder Dusty Baker had just gone deep off the Astros' J.R. Richard.  It was a wild, triumphant moment and a good omen as the Dodgers headed to the playoffs. Burke, waiting on deck, thrust his hand enthusiastically over his head to greet his friend at the plate. Baker, not knowing what to do, smacked it. "His hand was up in the air, and he was arching way back," says Baker, "So I reached up and hit his hand. It seemed like the thing to do."
So there you have it, perhaps that is how these phrases start, simply because in words of Dusty Baker, "it seemed like the thing to do."   Grace is demonstrating proper high five positioning.  I think it's time for the high five to make its second surge of popularity, like a boss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment