Thursday, May 17, 2012

A New Reality show....

Tuesday nights have not been the same since the Biggest Loser Finale. I have never consecutively watched a tv show in my life, but for some reason I got completely hooked on this show.  I don't think it's even because we have 3 channels (2 of which are not an option since one is a nonstop baptist preacher and the other is a West Virginia station) that I was counting down all week to see my favorite chubby peeps. As embarrassing as it is, I seriously looked forward every Tuesday night to seeing my favorite love handles come on the screen.  Even though my favorites got voted off, I was faithful in my fanhood and it became a treasured Tuseday night obsession. I mean tradition.
(Even though this is from a past episode, I thought this guy deserved to be posted just for his ankle transformation, don't act like you're not staring...Plus I had no idea that your hair changed colors when you lost weight, that's an added bonus....)
This morning I was having scripture study and read the epic classic Alma 5 where he asks, "Have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?"  I always feel motivated to get a change in my heart so that when I read that I caa yell with a resounding, "Heck yes!" As if there is no question.  The truth is, that I don't know. I can't tell. I want to change. I want to be better. I stink at visiting teaching but I do take the sacrament every week. I try hard. I've never had a huge radical moment of change. I wish I knew. I wish there was a spirit scale Biggest Change of Hearter TV show where at the grand finale, Alison Sweeny announces, "Check out this vilest of sinner, laziest wife, critical angry as a bull mother, impatient slob" as you see the before picture and then she says..."Well look at her now!" As she busts through showing her charitable, loving, patient self on stage claiming the grand prize, which she would obviously donate to charity because of her radical transformation.
The truth is, that both a change in body and change in heart both happen gradually and unless you get spiritual/physical liposuction, there are no short cuts and no substitutions for consistent habits.  One of the reasons I hate going to the gym is that I feel like I weigh the exact same after going once.  My arms jiggle as I walk into the sweaty arena, and my arms jiggle walking out an hour later.  That's frustrating.  It's the same frustration after a single scripture study when you think, "Well, I should be floating by now, or at least conversing with heavenly beings or being asked to wear a massive flower pinned to my blazer and speak at general conference."  Nothing worth having happens instantly.  Maybe pop tarts, but that's all I can think of.   Have you ever had a meaningful relationship that happens after one yearbook entry or 3 minutes? No. Anything in life worth having requires diligence, including getting rid of physical and spiritual cellulite. 
 I loved this by James E. Faust:
“The Lord has a great work for each of us to do. You may wonder how this can be. You may feel that there is nothing special or superior about you or your ability. . . . The Lord can do remarkable miracles with a person of ordinary ability who is humble, faithful, and diligent in serving the Lord and seeks to improve himself. This is because God is the ultimate source of power.”

There's a reason Biggest loser isn't premiering one week and then having the finale the next week. Real change always takes time, work, and consistency. Always. Instant results get you easy mac or soggy ramen noodles. Blue light specials are just for K-mart, not change of heart buying, and who wants something from K-mart anyway? I know Alma was thinking about Biggest Loser but its a true principle.  I guess I will just keep on keeping on with exercise and scripture study until they start the game show of my dreams...

No comments:

Post a Comment